Random Technology I'm working with

Monday, October 13, 2008

Introductions

Let me clear my throat...

I've been wanting to get a blog going for quite a while now. I had grand plans of building another friggin' blogging engine with Django, but I've given up on that. There just aren't enough hours in the day.

Between my wife and kids, I'm much too busy for writing a blogging engine.

I'm currently employed as a Linux sys admin. It is the greatest job in the world for a computer geek like me. I'm able to do the OS related stuff, like installs, backups, security, etc. But I also get to do some scripting for automation. Originally part of my job was web development, which is still a huge part of my life, just not so much at work. I'm still able to put out a web app now and then if it relates to automation.

I started out using PHP for web apps. PHP was a good way to get started with web development, but it wasn't too long before my code started getting really complex and hard to debug. In 2005 I started reading about Django. I had started learning Python a few months before, mostly out of curosity, and fell in love. I went through the Django tutorial and I haven't looked back. I have all but thrown out PHP and now use Python as my Swiss Army Language. It does everything I ask it to do.

I hope to contribute some of my experiences with Django, Linux, Python, etc. Maybe I will be able to help people avoid my mistakes.

Throat is now fully clear. Until Next time....

1 comment:

Jack said...

You are right it’s very difficult to find time in your busy schedule. I appreciate that managed time to write this post. This shows your dedication. I want to thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'll wait for your next post.
sap solution manager