Random Technology I'm working with

Monday, October 13, 2008

Convert SLES to OpenSUSE

I am not a SUSE Linux fan. Don't get me wrong, it is very easy to install and just as reliable as any of the other distros -- but there are things about it that really burn me. Let's talk about the most recent thing to bite me: The fact that the Enterprise Server (SLES) and Enterprise Desktop (SLED) are two separate products.

The biggest problem with this approach is that if I install SLES, but later need a package that Novell doesn't consider to be a Server package, I'm mostly out of luck. I manage a web server running SLES 10 that needed a package that isn't included with the SLES disks. To get around this, I downloaded the SLED 10 DVD from Novell and added it as an install source on the server. I was then able to install the packages that I needed from the SLED DVD. Keep in mind that I am licensed for SLES, but not for SLED.

Around the time that I did that, I stopped getting notifications about updates. But that was also the time that SP1 came out, so I figured that I would need to upgrade to SP1 before it would give me any new updates. This is a fairly high profile machine so I was unable to apply SP1 because I couldn't afford the reboot.

We very recently had a scheduled down time to install a new generator, and I was going to take this time to apply SP1. But to my dismay, it wouldn't apply the service pack. The problem was at the point where it switched update sources. Every time I would run the switch-update-server script, it would fail, and I would get an email telling me that I needed to register my SLED (notice the D) install. So those few packages that I installed from the SLED disk were keeping me from updating.

I ended up pulling down the SP1 DVD iso from Novell's site and did the upgrade from the DVD, but I'm still not able to get any additional updates because of the SLED packages. I'm sorry, but I don't feel like I should have to buy a SLED license for 1 or 2 packages. And the whole idea of having a Server edition that has X packages and a Desktop edition that has Y packages is just silly. Especially when Redhat and Ubuntu both ship an all in one product.

Now, on to the interesting bits. Since I refuse to buy a desktop license, I've decided to convert the install from SLE(S/D) 10 SP1 to OpenSUSE 11, which includes both server and desktop packages. The really nice thing about this is that it is a simple upgrade. Download the OpenSUSE 11 iso, burn to DVD, pop it in the drive, reboot and do an upgrade.





At the Installation Settings screen, be sure to click the Update Options link, and within that window choose "Only Update Installed Packages".



Hit the Update button and get a cup of coffee, or in my case, Diet Pepsi. You should come back to a shiny new OpenSUSE 11 install.

Disclaimer: I did this from SLES 10 SP 1 to OpenSUSE 11. I have not tested on any other version combinations. I am not guaranteeing this will work for you. Be sure to back up anything of value before attempting something like detailed above. Help control the pet population. Be sure to Spay or Neuter your pets.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I'm running Sles 9 and I'm thinking of converting to Opensuse.
Any comments on your conversion so far...Has all of your old settings remained intact?

Regards
Basheer

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack said...

I work on SLES but converting it to OpenSUSE doesn't come in my mind. After reading your post I want to try it that how it work in OpenSUSE. The steps of conversion seem very easy. I am going to implement them then I'll share my experience with you. Thanks.
sap support pack